MEET THE EDITOR
Dr. Victoria Samanidou
Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
Reviews in Separation Sciences. Vol.2. No.1. pages 1-4 (2020).
Published 15 July 2020. https://doi.org/10.17145/rss.20.001 | (ISSN 2589-1677).
Correspondence: Samanidou V . Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, GR-54124, Thessaloniki, Greece. Tel.: +30 2310997698, fax: +30 2310997719.
Samanidou V. Meet the Editor: Dr. victoria Samanidou. Rev Sep Sci 2(1), 1-4 (2020).
Dr. Victoria Samanidou was born on the 11th of January 1963, in Thessaloniki, Greece. She obtained her Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry, in 1985, from the Chemistry Department of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece. From 20-7-86 to 25-8-86 she joined the Institute of Ecological Chemistry, in GSF, Attaching/Freising, Germany, for additional work on her PhD Thesis, as well as research work on Photochemistry and study of photodecomposition products of chlorophenols by HPLC-Diode array and GC-MS. From 15-7-87 to 4-9-87 she joined the Institute of Ecological Chemistry, in GSF, Neuherberg-Munich, Germany, for additional work on her PhD Thesis, as well as research work on carbamate analysis by HPLC and GC-MS. From 1-7-88 to 30-9-88 she joined the Institute of Ecological Chemistry, in GSF, Neuherberg-Munich, Germany, for additional work on her PhD Thesis, as well as research work on controlled release of pesticides by HPLC and GC-MS.
In 1990 she obtained a doctorate (Ph.D.) in Chemistry from the Department of Chemistry of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. The topic of her Thesis was “Distribution and mobilization of heavy metals in waters and sediments from rivers in Northern Greece”. In the same year Dr. Samanidou joined the Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry, in the Department of Chemistry of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, as
Technical Assistant. Nine years later she was elected as Lecturer in the Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry in the Department of Chemistry of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. In 2007, she joined the Institute of Analytical Chemistry and Radiochemistry in Graz Technical University, for four months, developing methods by LC-MS/MS.
Since 2015, Dr Samanidou is Full Professor in the Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry in the Department of Chemistry of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
Dr Samanidou has authored and co-authored more than 170 original research articles in peer reviewed journals and 50 reviews and 50 chapters in scientific books, with H-index 36 (Scopus November 2019, http://orcid.org/0000-0002-8493-1106, Scopus Author ID 7003896015) and ca 3800 citations. She has supervised four PhD Theses, 24 postgraduate Diploma Theses, 2 postdoc researchers and more than 15 undergraduate Diploma Theses. She has served as Member of 10 advisory PhD committees, 21 examination PhD committees and 32 examination committees of postgraduate Diploma Theses. She is member of editorial board of more than 10 scientific journals and she has reviewed ca 500 manuscripts in more than 100 scientific journals. She was also guest editor in more than 10 special issues in scientific journals. She has served as Academic Editor for Separations mdpi, as Reopenaccess
gional editor in Current Analytical Chemistry and as Editor in Chief of Pharmaceutica Analytica Acta.
Her educational activities include Laboratory Practice in Instrumental Chemical Analysis, Qualitative Chemical Analysis, Principles of Analytical Chemistry, Separation Methods in Chemical Analysis, Specific separation methods of chemical analysis, Qualitative analysis in Geology and Agricultural Department, Quantitative Chemical Analysis, Environmental Pollution Control, Environmental Chemistry, as well as lectures in Undergraduate and postgraduate courses Separation methods in chemical Analysis, Instrumental Chemical Analysis, Specific methods of separation and chemical analysis, Qualitative Chemical Analysis, Bioanalytical Chemistry, Specific methods of analysis as well as in Postgraduate Studies: Advanced Separation Techniques in Instrumental Chemical Analysis, Advanced Analytical Chemistry and Research Methodology.
Her research interests include:
- Development and validation of analytical methods for the determination of inorganic and organic substances using chromatographic techniques:
- High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC).
- Liquid Chromatography T
andem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS).
- High Pressure Ion Chromatography (HPLC).
- Gas Chromatography (GC).
- Development and optimization of methodology for sample preparation of various samples e.g. food, biological fluids etc, in terms of selective extraction of analytes, using modern sample pre-treatment techniques such as solid phase extraction, matrix solid phase dispersion, membranes, sonication, microwaves etc.
- Study of new chromatographic materials used in separation and sample preparation (polymeric sorbents, monoliths, carbon nanotubes, fused core particles etc) compared to conventional materials.
- Application of HPLC in the analysis of different samples such as food, biological fluids, pharmaceuticals, environmental, forensics etc.
- Application of Ion Chromatography in environmental pollution elimination.
She has established collaboration with several research groups in Greek as well as European and USA universities.
She has also been Member of organizing and scientific committee in 20 scientific conferences.
Since December 2015 Dr. Samanidou has been elected as President of the Steering Committee of the Division of Central and Western Macedonia of the Greek Chemists’ Association. In November 2018 she has been reelected to serve at the same leading position for 3 years more.
She is the mother of two daughters. One is PhD candidate in Chemistry and the other is Pharmacist (graduated in March 2019). She can speak fluently four languages (Greek, English, German and French).
A milestone in her career was in 2016, when she was included in top 50 power list of women in Analytical Science, as proposed by Texere Publishers (https://theanalyticalscientist.com/power-list/the-power-list-2016).
All site content, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License
- Samanidou V, Christodoulou E, Papadoyannis I. Advances in Chromatographic Analyses of Fluoroquinolones in Pharmaceuticals and Biological Samples – A Review Article. Current Pharm Anal 1(3), 283-308 (2005). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Evaggelopoulou E, Papadoyannis I. Chromatographic Analysis of Penicillins in Pharmaceutical Formulations and Biological Fluids. J Sep Sci 29 (12), 1879–1908 (2006). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Nika M, Papadoyannis I. HPLC as a tool in medicinal chemistry for the monitoring of tricyclic antidepressants in biofluids. Mini Rev Medic Chem 8(3), 256-275 (2008). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Kourti P. Modern bioanalytical methods for the rapid detection of antidepressants: SNRIs and SSRIs, in human biological samples. Bioanalysis 1(2), 451-488 (2009). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Nasir Uddin M, Papadoyannis I. Benzodiazepines: Sample Preparation and HPLC Methods for Their Determination in Biological Samples-A Review Article. Bioanalysis 1(4), 755-784 (2009). [CrossRef]
- Nasir Uddin M, Samanidou V, Papadoyannis I. Bio-sample preparation and analytical methods for the determination of tricyclic antidepressants. Bioanalysis, 3(1), 97-118 (2011). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Kovatsi L, Fragou D, Rentifis K. Novel strategies for sample preparation in forensic toxicology. Bioanalysis 3(17), 2019-2046 (2011). [CrossRef]
- Fragou D, Dotsika S, Sarafidou P, Samanidou V, Njau S, Kovatsi L. Atypical antipsychotics: trends in analysis and sample preparation of various biological samples. Bioanalysis 4(8), 96-980 (2012). [CrossRef]
- Fragou D, Fragou A, Samanidou V, Kouidou S, Njau S, Kovatsi L. Recent advances in the bioanalysis of modified nucleotides in epigenetic studies. Bioanalysis, 5(23), 2947-2956 (2013). [CrossRef]
- Georga K, Samanidou V, Papadoyannis I. Use of novel solid-phase extraction sorbent materials for high-performance liquid chromatography quantitation of caffeine metabolism products: methylxanthines and methyluric acids in samples of biological origin. J Chromatogr B 759, 209-218 (2001). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Demetriou C, Papadoyannis I. Direct determination of four fluoroquinolones, enoxacin, norfloxacin, ofloxacin, and ciprofloxacin, in pharmaceuticals and blood serum by HPLC. Anal Bioanal Chem 375, 623-629 (2003). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Hapeshi E, Papadoyannis I. Rapid and sensitive high-performance liquid chromatographic determination of four cephalosporin antibiotics in pharmaceuticals and body fluids. J Chromatogr B 788(1), 147-158 (2003). [CrossRef]
- Chatzimichalakis P, Samanidou V, Papadoyannis I. Development of a validated HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of eight fat-soluble vitamins in biological fluids after solid phase extraction. J Chromatogr B 805(2), 289-296 (2004). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Ioannou A, Papadoyannis I. Use of monolithic column to improve the simultaneous determination of four cephalosporin antibiotics in pharmaceuticals and body fluids by liquid chromatography after solid-phase extraction: a comparison with a conventional reversed phase silica-based column. J Chromatogr B 809, 175-182 (2004). [CrossRef]
- Chatzimichalakis P, Samanidou V, Verpoorte R, Papadoyannis I. Development of a validated HPLC method for the determination of B-complex vitamins in pharmaceuticals and biological fluids after solid phase extraction. J Sep Sci 27, 1181–1188 (2004). [CrossRef]
- Gika H, Samanidou V, Papadoyannis I. Development of a validated HPLC method for the determination of iodotyrosines and iodothyronines in pharmaceuticals and biological samples using solid phase extraction. J Chromatogr B 814(1), 163-172 (2005). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Evaggelopoulou E, Papadoyannis I. Simultaneous determination of quinine and chloroquine anti-malarial agents in pharmaceuticals and biological fluids by HPLC and fluorescence detection. J Pharmac Biomed 38(1) 21-28 (2005). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Nika M, Papadoyannis I. Development of an HPLC method for the monitoring of tricyclic antidepressants in biofluids. J Sep Sci 30(15), 2391 – 2400 (2007). [CrossRef]
- Nasir Uddin M, Samanidou V, Papadoyannis I. Development and validation of an HPLC method for the determination of benzodiazepines and tricyclic antidepressants in biological fluids after sequential SPE. J Sep Sci 31(13), 2358-2370 (2008). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Kourti P. A rapid HPLC method for the simultaneous monitoring of two Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors and Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: duloxetine, venlafaxine, fluoxetine and paroxetine in biofluids. Bioanalysis 1(5), 905-917 (2009). [CrossRef]
- Kovatsi, L. Pouliopoulos, A. Papadaki, A.; Samanidou V.Tsoukali H. Development and validation of an HPLC method for the evaluation of niflumic acid cross-reactivity of two commercial immunoassays for cannabinoids in urine. J Anal Toxicol 34, 229-232 (2010). [CrossRef]
- Kovatsi L, Rentifis K, Giannakis D, Njau S, Samanidou V. Disposable pipette extraction for gas chromatographic determination of codeine, morphine, and 6-monoacetylmorphine in vitreous humor. J Sep Sci 34, 1716–1721 (2011). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Nazyropoulou C, Kovatsi L. A simple HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Venlafaxine and its major metabolite O-Desmethylvenlafaxine in human serum. Bioanalysis 3(15), 1713-1718 (2011). [CrossRef]
- Fragou D, Samanidou V, Njau S, Kouidou S, Bailey A, Kovatsi L. Evaluation of 5-methyl-2´- deoxycytidine stability in hydrolyzed and non-hydrolyzed DNA by HPLC-UV. Bioanalysis 4(4), 367–372 (2012). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Pantazidou K, Kovatsi L, Njau S, Livanos A. A simple HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of two selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and two serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors in hair, nail clippings and cerebrospinal fluid. J Sep Sci 35, 839–845 (2012). [CrossRef]
- Kovatsi L, Redifis K, Mihailidou K, Pavlidis P, Samanidou V. A validated UHPLC-DAD method for the bioanalysis of atypical antipsychotics in whole blood, urine and cerebrospinal fluid following solid phase extraction. Bioanalysis 4(24) 2929-2938 (2012). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Stathatos C, Njau S, Kovatsi L. Disposable Pipette Extraction for the simultaneous determination of biperiden and three antipsychotic drugs in human urine by gas chromatography-nitrogen phosphorous detection. Bioanalysis 5(1) 21-29 (2013). [CrossRef]
- Nazyropoulou C, Samanidou V. Stir Bar Sorptive Extraction (SBSE) applied to the analysis of biological fluids, Bioanalysis 7(17) 2241-2250 (2015). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V, Kaltzi I, Kabir A, Furton K. Simplifying Sample Preparation Using Fabric Phase Sorptive Extraction Technique for the Determination of Benzodiazepines in Blood Serum by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography. Biomed Chromatogr 30(6), 829-836 (2016). [CrossRef]
- Samanidou V. LC method development & resolution optimization, including temperature effects. Chapter for the handbook “Analytical Separation Science, 6 volumes”, Wiley-VCH. Editors: Alain Berthod, Veronica Pino, Apryll M. Stalcup ISBN: 978-3-527-33374-5 (2016).
- Palaiogiannis D. Bekou E, Pazaitou-Panayiotou K, Samanidou V, Tsakalof A. On-Line SPE Sample Treatment As A Tool For Method Automatization And Detection Limits Reduction: Quantification Of 25-Hydroxyvitamin D3/D2. J Chromatogr B 1043, 219-227 (2017). [CrossRef]
- Petrocheilou M, Samanidou V, Kovatsi L, Tsolaki M, Papadoyannis I. A simple and direct HPLC-DAD method for the simultaneous determination of galantamine, donepezil and rivastigmine in cerebrospinal fluid, blood, serum and urine. J Appl Bioanal 3(4), 59-69 (2017). [CrossRef]
- Kechagia M, Samanidou V, Kabir A, Furton K. One-pot synthesis of a multi-template molecularly imprinted polymer for the extraction of six sulfonamide residues from milk prior to High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Analysis with Diode Array Detection. J Sep Sci 41, 723-731 (2018). [CrossRef]
- Kissoudi M, Sarakatsianos I, Samanidou V. Isolation and purification of food-grade C-phycocyanin from Arthrospira platensis and its determination in confectionery by High Performance Liquid Chromatography-Diode Array Detection. J Sep Sci 41, 975–981 (2018). [CrossRef]
- Sarakatsianos I, Adamopoulos K, Samanidou V. Goula, A.; Ninou, E. Optimization of Microwave-Assisted Extraction of Phenolic Compounds from medicinal and aromatic plants: Sideritis raeseri, Sideritis scardica and Origanum vulgare. Curr Anal Chem 15(1), https://doi.org/10.2174/1573411014666180423125631 (2019).
- Vardali, S.; Samanidou, V.; Kotzamanis, Y. Development and validation of an Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography-Quadrupole Time Of Flight-Mass Spectrometry (in MSE mode) method for the quantitative determination of 20 antimicrobial residues in edible muscle tissue of European sea bass. J Chromatogr A 1575, 40–48 (2018). [CrossRef]
- Mesa,R.; Kabir,A.; Samanidou,V.; Furton, K.G. Simultaneous determination of selected estrogenic endocrine disrupting chemicals and bisphenol A residues in whole milk using fabric phase sorptive extraction coupled to HPLC-Ultraviolet detection and LC-MS/MS. J Sep Sci 42(2), 598-608 (2018). [CrossRef]
- Tartaglia, A.; Locatelli, M.; Samanidou, V. Trends in the Analysis of iopharmaceuticals by HPLC. Curr Anal Chem 15(1), https:///doi.org/10.2174/1573411015666181205114810 (2019).
- Saroyan, H; Bele, S; Giannakoudakis,D; Samanidou, V; Bandosz, T; Deliyanni, E. Degradation of endocrine disruptor, bisphenol-A, on mixed oxidation state manganese oxide/modified graphite oxide composite: a role of carbonaceous phase. J Colloid Interface Sci 539, 516–524 (2019). [crossRef]
- Manousi,N; Zachariadis,G; Deliyanni,E; Samanidou, V. Applications of Metal-Organic Frameworks in Food Sample Preparation. Molecules 23(11), (2018). [CrossRef]