MEET THE EDITOR
Victoria F. Samanidou
Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
Journal of Applied Bioanalysis. Vol.4. No.2. pages 32-36 (2018)
Published 15 April 2018. https://doi.org/10.17145/jab.18.006 | (ISSN 2405-710X)
Correspondence: Samanidou VF. . Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. GR-54124, Thessaloniki, Greece. Phone: +30 2310997698; Fax: +30 2310997719.
Samanidou VF. Meet our Editorial Board Member: Dr. Victoria F. Samanidou. J Appl Bioanal 4(2), 32-36 (2018).
Dr. Victoria Samanidou was born on the 11th of January 1963, in Thessaloniki, Greece. She obtained her Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry, in 1985, from the Chemistry Department of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece. From 20-7-86 to 25-8-86 she joined the Institute of Ecological Chemistry, in GSF, Attaching/Freising, Germany, for additional work on her Ph.D. Thesis, as well as research work on Photochemistry and stdy of photodecomposition products of chlorophenols by HPLC-Diode array and GC-MS. From 15-7-87 to 4-9-87 she joined the Institute of Ecological Chemistry, in GSF, Neuherberg-Munich, Germany, for additional work on her Ph.D. Thesis, as well as research work on carbamate analysis by HPLC and GC-MS. From 1-7-88 to 30-9-88 she joined the Institute of Ecological Chemistry, in GSF, Neuherberg-Munich, Germany, for additional work on her Ph.D. Thesis, as well as research work on controlled release of pesticides by HPLC and GC-MS.
In 1990 she obtained a doctorate (Ph.D.) in Chemistry from the Department of Chemistry of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. The topic of her Thesis was “Distribution and mobilization of heavy metals in waters and sediments from rivers in Northern Greece”. In the same year Dr. Samanidou joined the Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry, in the Department of Chemistry of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, as Technical Assistant. Nine years later she was elected as Lecturer in the Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry in the Department of Chemistry of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. In 2007, she joined the Institute of Analytical Chemistry and Radiochemistry in Graz Technical University, for four months, developing methods by LC-MS/MS. Since 2015, Dr Samanidou is Full Professor in the Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry in the Department of Chemistry of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
Dr. Samanidou has authored and co-authored more than 150 original research articles in peer reviewed journals and 50 reviews and chapters in scientific books, with H-index 30 (Scopus March 2018, http://orcid.org/0000-0002-8493-1106, Scopus Author ID 7003896015). She has supervised four PhD Theses, 22 postgraduate Diploma Theses, one postdoc researcher and 15 undergraduate Diploma Theses. She has served as Member of 10 advisory Ph.D. committees, 21 examination Ph.D. committees and 32 examination committees of postgraduate Diploma Theses. She is member of editorial board of more than 10 scientific journals and she has reviewed more than 400 manuscripts in more than 100 scientific journals. She was also guest editor in 5 special issues in scientific journals. She has served as Academic Editor for Separations mdpi, as Regional editor in Current Analytical Chemistry and as Editor in Chief of Pharmaceutica Analytica Acta.
Her educational activities include Laboratory Practice in Instrumental Chemical Analysis, Qualitative Chemical Analysis, Principles of Analytical Chemistry, Separation Methods in Chemical Analysis, Specific separation methods of chemical analysis, Qualitative analysis in Geology and Agricultural Department, Quantitative Chemical Analysis, Environmental Pollution Control, Envirnmental Chemsitry, as well as lectures in Undergraduate and postgraduate courses Separation methods in chemical Analysis, Instrumental Chemical Analysis, Specific methods of separation and chemical analysis, Qualitative Chemical Analysis, Bioanalytical Chemistry, Specific methods of analysis as well as in Postgraduate Studies: Advanced Separation Techniques in Instrumental Chemical Analysis, Advanced Analytical Chemistry and Research Methodology.
Her research interests include:
1. Development and validation of analytical methods for the determination of inorganic and organic substances using chromatographic techniques:
• High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC).
• Liquid Chromatography Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS).
• High Pressure Ion Chromatography (HPIC).
• Gas Chromatography (GC)
2. Development and optimization of methodology for sample preparation of various sampes eg food, biological fluids etc, in terms of selective extraction of analytes, using modern sample pre-treatment techniques such as solid phase extraction, matrix solid phase dispersion, membranes, sonication, microwaves etc.
3. Study of new chromatographic materials used in separation and sample preparation (polymeric sorbents, monoliths, carbon nanotubes, fused core particles etc) compared to conventional materials.
4. Application of HPLC in the analysis of different samples such as food, biological fluids, pharmaceuticals, environmental, forensics etc.
5. Application of Ion Chromatography in environmental pollution elimination.
She has established collaboration with several research groups in Greek as well as European and USA universities. She has also been Member of organizing and scientific committee in 20 scientific conferences. Since December 2015, Dr. Samanidou has been elected as President of the Steering Committee of the Division of Central and Western Macedonia of the Greek Chemists’ Association.
She is the mother of two daughters. One is already graduated with the degree of Master in Chemistry and one is undergraduate student in School of Pharmacy. She can speak fluently four languages (Greek, English, German and French). A milestone in her career was in 2016 when she was included in top 50 power list of women in Analytical Science, as proposed by Texere Publishers.
1. Samanidou V, Christodoulou E, Papadoyannis I. Advances in Chromatographic Analyses of Fluoroquinolones in Pharmaceuticals and Biological Samples – A Review Article. Current Pharm Anal 1(3), 283-308 (2005). [CrossRef]
2. Samanidou V, Evaggelopoulou E, Papadoyannis I. Chromatographic Analysis of Penicillins in Pharmaceutical Formulations and Biological Fluids. J Sep Sci 29(12), 1879–908 (2006). [CrossRef]
3. Samanidou V, Nika M, Papadoyannis I. HPLC as a tool in medicinal chemistry for the monitoring of tricyclic antidepressants in biofluids. Mini Rev Medic Chem 8(3), 256-275 (2008). [CrossRef]
4. Samanidou V, Kourti P. Modern bioanalytical methods for the rapid detection of antidepressants: SNRIs and SSRIs, in human biological samples. Bioanalysis 1(2), 451-488 (2009). [CrossRef]
5. Samanidou V, Nasir Uddin M, Papadoyannis I. Benzodiazepines: Sample Preparation and HPLC Methods for Their Determination in Biological Samples-A Review Article. Bioanalysis 1(4), 755-784 (2009). [CrossRef]
6. Nasir Uddin M, Samanidou V, Papadoyannis I. Bio-sample preparation and analytical methods for the determination of tricyclic antidepressants. Bioanalysis 3(1) 97-118 (2011). [CrossRef]
7. Kovatsi L, Fragou D, Samanidou V, Njau S, Kouidou S. Drugs of Abuse: Epigenetic Mechanisms in Toxicity and Addiction. Current Medic Chem18 (12), 1765-1774 (2011).
8. Samanidou V, Kovatsi L, Fragou D, Rentifis K. Novel strategies for sample preparation in forensic toxicology. Bioanalysis 3(17), 2019–2046 (2011). [CrossRef]
9. Fragou D, Dotsika S, Sarafidou P, Samanidou V, Njau S, Kovatsi L. Atypical antipsychotics: trends in analysis and sample preparation of various biological samples. Bioanalysis 4(8), 961-980 (2012). [CrossRef]
10. Fragou D, Fragou A, Samanidou V, Kouidou S, Njau S, Kovatsi L. Recent advances in the bioanalysis of modified nucleotides in epigenetic studies. Bioanalysis 5(23), 2947-2956 (2013). [CrossRef]
11. Georga K, Samanidou V, Papadoyannis I. Use of novel solid-phase extraction sorbent materials for high-performance liquid chromatography quantitation of caffeine metabolism products: methylxanthines and methyluric acids in samples of biological origin. J Chromatogr B 759, 209-218 (2001). [CrossRef]
12. Samanidou V, Demetriou C, Papadoyannis I. Direct determination of four fluoroquinolones, enoxacin, norfloxacin, ofloxacin, and ciprofloxacin, in pharmaceuticals and blood serum by HPLC. Anal Bioanal Chem 375, 623-629 (2003). [CrossRef]
13. Samanidou V, Hapeshi E, Papadoyannis I. Rapid and sensitive high-performance liquid chromatographic determination of four cephalosporin antibiotics in pharmaceuticals and body fluids. J Chromatogr B 788(1), 147-158 (2003). [CrossRef]
14. Chatzimichalakis P, Samanidou V, Papadoyannis I. Development of a validated HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of eight fat-soluble vitamins in biological fluids after solid phase extraction. J Chromatogr B 805(2), 289-296 (2004). [CrossRef]
15. Samanidou V, Ioannou A, Papadoyannis I. Use of monolithic column to improve the simultaneous determination of four cephalosporin antibiotics in pharmaceuticals and body fluids by liquid chromatography after solid-phase extraction: a comparison with a conventional reversed phase silica-based column. J Chromatogr B 809, 175-182 (2004). [CrossRef]
16. Chatzimichalakis P, Samanidou V, Verpoorte R, Papadoyannis I. Development of a validated HPLC method for the determination of B-complex vitamins in pharmaceuticals and biological fluids after solid phase extraction. J Sep Sci 27, 1181–1188 (2004). [CrossRef]
17. Gika H, Samanidou V, Papadoyannis I. Development of a validated HPLC method for the determination of iodotyrosines and iodothyronines in pharmaceuticals and biological samples using solid phase extraction. J Chromatogr B 814(1), 163-172 (2005). [CrossRef]
18. Samanidou V, Evaggelopoulou E, Papadoyannis I. Simultaneous determination of quinine and chloroquine anti-malarial agents in pharmaceuticals and biological fluids by HPLC and fluorescence detection. J Pharmac Biomedical 38(1), 21-28 (2005). [CrossRef]
19. Samanidou V, Nika M, Papadoyannis I. Development of an HPLC method for the monitoring of tricyclic antidepressants in biofluids. J Sep Sci 30 (15), 2391 – 2400 (2007). [CrossRef]
20. Nasir Uddin M, Samanidou V, Papadoyannis I. Development and validation of an HPLC method for the determination of benzodiazepines and tricyclic antidepressants in biological fluids after sequential SPE. J Sep Sci 31(13), 2358-2370 (2008). [CrossRef]
21. Samanidou V, Karageorgou E. Recent Developments in Drug monitoring by HPLC. Nova Publishers. Ed. Frank Columbus. ISBN:978-1-60876-183-8. 2009.
22. Samanidou V, Kourti P. A rapid HPLC method for the simultaneous monitoring of two Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors and Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: duloxetine, venlafaxine, fluoxetine and paroxetine in biofluids. Bioanalysis 1(5), 905-917 (2009). [CrossRef]
23. Kovatsi, L, Pouliopoulos A, Papadaki A, Samanidou V, Tsoukali H. Development and validation of an HPLC method for the evaluation of niflumic acid cross-reactivity of two commercial immunoassays for cannabinoids in urine. J Anal Toxicol 34, 229-232 (2010). [CrossRef]
24. Kovatsi L, Giannakis D, Arzoglou V, Samanidou V. Development and validation of a direct Headspace GC-FID method for the determination of sevoflurane, desflurane and other volatile compounds of forensic interest in biological fluids. Application on clinical and post-mortem samples. J Sep Sci 34, 1004–1010 (2011). [CrossRef]
25. Kovatsi L, Rentifis K, Giannakis D, Njau S, Samanidou V. Disposable pipette extraction for gas chromatographic determination of codeine, morphine, and 6-monoacetylmorphine in vitreous humor. J Sep Sci 34, 1716–1721 (2011). [CrossRef]
26. Samanidou V, Nazyropoulou C, Kovatsi L. A simple HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Venlafaxine and its major metabolite O-Desmethylvenlafaxine in human serum. Bioanalysis 3(15) 1713-1718 (2011). [CrossRef]
27. Fragou D, Samanidou V, Njau S, Kouidou S, Bailey A, Kovatsi L. Evaluation of 5-methyl-2´- deoxycytidine stability in hydrolyzed and non-hydrolyzed DNA by HPLC-UV. Bioanalysis 4(4), 367–372 (2012). [CrossRef]
28. Samanidou V, Pantazidou K, Kovatsi L, Njau S, Livanos A. A simple HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of two selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and two serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors in hair, nail clippings and cerebrospinal fluid. J Sep Sci 35, 839–845 (2012). [CrossRef]
29. Kovatsi L, Redifis K, Mihailidou K, Pavlidis P, Samanidou V. A validated UHPLC-DAD method for the bioanalysis of atypical antipsychotics in whole blood, urine and cerebrospinal fluid following solid phase extraction. Bioanalysis 4(24) 2929-2938 (2012). [CrossRef]
30. Samanidou V, Stathatos C, Njau S, Kovatsi L. Disposable Pipette Extraction for the simultaneous determination of biperiden and three antipsychotic drugs in human urine by gas chromatography-nitrogen phosphorous detection. Bioanalysis 5(1) 21-29 (2013). [CrossRef]
31. Samanidou V, Nazyropoulou C. Simultaneous determination of free phenolic constituents and major purine alkaloids in human blood serum by a simple HPLC-DAD method. Pharmacologia 6(4), 131-140 (2015). [CrossRef]
32. Livadiotou D, Samanidou V. Dried Blood Spots in TDM in Future Science eBook chapter – New sampling strategies in toxicology and therapeutic drug monitoring, 66-78 (2015).
33. Nazyropoulou C, Samanidou V. Stir Bar Sorptive Extraction (SBSE) applied to the analysis of biological fluids, Bioanalysis 7(17), 2241-2250 (2015). [CrossRef]
34. Kovatsi L, Titopoulou A, Tsakalof A, Samanidou V. HPLC analysis of antipsychotic asenapine in alternative biomatrices: hair and nail clippings. J Liq Chromatogr Rel Technol 38, 1666–1670 (2015). [CrossRef]
35. Samanidou V, Kaltzi I, Kabir A, Furton K. Simplifying Sample Preparation Using Fabric Phase Sorptive Extraction Technique for the Determination of Benzodiazepines in Blood Serum by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography. Biomed Chromatogr 30(6), 829-836 (2016). [CrossRef]
36. Samanidou V. LC method development & resolution optimization, including temperature effects. Chapter for the handbook “Analytical Separation Science, 6 volumes”, Wiley-VCH. Editors: Berthod A, Pino V, Stalcup AM, ISBN: 978-3-527-33374-5 (2016).
37. Palaiogiannis D. Bekou E, Pazaitou-Panayiotou K, Samanidou V, Tsakalof A. On-Line SPE Sample Treatment As A Tool For Method Automatization And Detection Limits Reduction: Quantification Of 25-Hydroxyvitamin D3/D2. J Chromatogr B 1043, 219-227 (2017). [CrossRef]
38. Kissoudi M, Samanidou V. Isolation, purification and characterization of proteins Analytical Chemistry: Developments, Applications and Challenges in Food Analysis, pp. 367-386 (2017)
39. Petrocheilou M, Samanidou V, Kovatsi L, Tsolaki M, Papadoyannis I. A simple and direct HPLC-DAD method for the simultaneous determination of galantamine, donepezil and rivastigmine in cerebrospinal fluid, blood, serum and urine. J Appl Bioanal 3(4) 59-69 (2017). [CrossRef]
All site content, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License
Article Processing Charge (APC)
Reporting Analytical Data for Regulatory Submissions: A CRO Perspective on Implementing the BP4NTA Study Reporting Tool in the Healthcare Industry
Evaluation of Extraction Conditions for Volatile Extractables from Polypropylene, PBT Resins, and Chlorobutyl Rubber Elastomers Using a Variety of Solvents and Extraction Techniques
Impact of the GC-MS Injection Solvent and the Analyte Concentration on Relative Responses for common Extractables
Multiple Headspace Extraction-Selected Ion Flow Tube Mass Spectrometry (MHE-SIFT-MS). Part 1: A Protocol for Method Development and Transfer to Routine Analysis
Evaluation of Vitamin E Acetate Volatile Degradation Products; a possible Connection to the EVALI Epidemic
Application of Routine Analysis Procedures to a Direct Mass Spectrometry Technique: Selected Ion Flow Tube Mass Spectrometry (SIFT-MS)